Monday, October 10, 2011

Smyth Elbow

I was just reading the Pens/Oil box score without seeing the game highlight pack and needless to say I was shocked when I saw Ryan Smyth had 15 PIMs.  I immediately youtubed the incident - what a needless call on one of the games classiest guys.  As the linesman is leeding Smyth to the box he's watching the replay on the jumbotron and you can just tell he's concerned about both the play and the player, Chris Kunitz, who made the hit and if you watch the replay also got his elbow up on Smyth.

If Smyth was the aggressor then maybe a 5 but as the guy taking the hit and accidentally getting the elbow up there is absolutely no need to give him a five minute major and a game. 

Then I watched the highlights of RNH scoring his first career goal, a game tying tally on a gritty second effort play in the slot; not bad for a kid questioned for his size.  I'm thinking he's a keeper, and I like my pick of the Oil in 8th in the West even more.

No comments:

Post a Comment